Honoring Veterans

Bateman-Allen Funeral Home has served veterans and their families in Brookhaven and the surrounding areas for over 70 years. The Bateman-Allen Funeral Home will proudly carry on the tradition, as we view it as a sacred obligation to make sure U.S. veterans are laid to rest with the honor and dignity they deserve through a proper veteran funeral.


Burial and memorial honors are free of charge and mandated by law for eligible veterans who wish to take advantage of them. Eligibility requirements are as follows:

  • Military members who have met a minimum active duty service requirement or were in the Selected Reserve.
  • Former military members who served on active duty and departed under honorable conditions.
  • Former military members who completed at least one term of enlistment or period of initial obligated service in the Selected Reserve and departed under honorable conditions.
  • Former military members discharged from the Selected Reserve due to a disability incurred or aggravated in the line of duty.
  • Members of the reserve components of the armed forces who die while on active duty or who die while on training duty, or were eligible for retired pay, may also be eligible for burial.

Additionally, a Veteran’s spouse, widow or widower, minor dependent children, and under certain conditions, unmarried adult children with disabilities may also be eligible for burial. Eligible spouses and children may be buried even if they predecease the Veteran. If the requirements are met, benefits for Burial or Cremation options will be honored.

In order to take advantage of these Burial and Memorial Benefits, a Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty must be provided. This certification is most commonly known as “DD 214” and is issued by the United States Department of Defense upon a military service member’s retirement, separation, or discharge from active duty in the Armed Forces of the United States.

If you don’t have a copy of your discharge “DD214”, please contact the Bateman-Allen Funeral Home and we’d be happy to assist you.

Traditional Honors

The following military honors may be arranged for a fallen patriot once eligibility for these benefits is verified:

  • U.S. Burial Flag draped over the casket and given to the next of kin following the service
  • Family Flag-Folding Presentation Service with the burial flag presented to the Next of Kin
  • A Final Salute at the gravesite by Honor Guard Personnel
  • Three-gun Volley (if eligible depending on rank when discharged to represent duty, honor, and Country)
  • Honor Guard at funeral home or cemetery
  • Playing of Taps by a lone bugler or an audio recording
  • Presidential Memorial Certificate: This is a certificate expressing the nation’s recognition of the veteran’s service. The veteran’s name is inscribed, and the certificate bears the signature of the president.
  • National Cemetery Burial: The two National cemeteries local to Delaware County are listed below:

We will also work closely with the family of fallen patriots to make sure all of the benefits due to them for their distinguished service are provided.

Frequently Asked Questions

The VA does not pay for cremation directly. Any item or service obtained from a funeral home will be at the families’ expense. Some Veterans’ families may be entitled to a burial allowance, which may cover some of these expenses.

Burial benefits available include a gravesite in any of our 141 national cemeteries with available space, opening and closing of the grave, perpetual care, a Government headstone or marker, a burial flag, and a Presidential Memorial Certificate, at no cost to the family. Some Veterans may also be eligible for Burial Allowances. Cremated remains are buried or inurned in national cemeteries in the same manner and with the same honors as casketed remains.

You should advise your family of your wishes and where your discharge papers are kept. These papers are very important in establishing your eligibility. Upon request, VA will make eligibility determinations for burial in a VA national cemetery in advance of need. At the time of need your family would contact a funeral home who will assist them with making burial arrangements at the national cemetery. You may wish to make pre-need arrangements with a funeral home. To schedule a burial: Fax all discharge documentation to the National Cemetery Scheduling Office at 1-866-900-6417 and follow-up with a phone call to 1-800-535-1117.

You can contact the National Archives* to obtain a copy of your discharge papers.

A United States flag is provided, at no cost, to drape the casket or accompany the urn of a deceased Veteran who served honorably in the U.S. Armed Forces. Learn more.

A Presidential Memorial Certificate (PMC) is an engraved paper certificate, signed by the current President, to honor the memory of honorably discharged deceased Veterans.

Complete the appropriate VA Form available here.

Is my mother, who is not a Veteran, entitled to a Government marker in a private cemetery?

Spouses and dependents are not entitled to a Government-furnished headstone or marker in a private cemetery.

The Department of the Army maintains two national cemeteries, the Arlington National Cemetery* and the U.S. Soldiers’ & Airmen’s Home National Cemetery. Please contact them directly for their eligibility information.

To obtain the status of headstones or markers ordered for national or state cemeteries, please contact the cemetery directly.

Private Cemetery: If more than 60 days have passed since submitting your claim and the grave is still not marked, you should contact the cemetery, funeral home, or other party responsible for accepting delivery of the headstone, marker or medallion to see if they have received it. If they have not received it, you may call our Applicant Assistance Unit between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. (ET), Monday through Friday, at 1-800-697-6947.

Contact your national cemetery administration office for assistance. If the Veteran is buried in a private cemetery, contact our Applicant Assistance Office at 1-800-697-6947.

The VA does not provide burial at sea. If you have any questions about the Burial at Sea program, please contact the United States Navy Mortuary Affairs office toll-free at 1-866-787-0081. Or contact the Department of the Navy* for information.